St. Ambrose University Digital Collections
The Catich Collection provides digital access to the artwork of Fr. Edward Catich (1906-1979). Fr. Catich, one of the world's finest calligraphers, was known as an internatinoal authority on stone incising, typography, and stained glass fabrication, and as the foremost authority on the Roman alphabet, its origin, nature, and …
The Bettendorf Company was a manufacturer of railroad cars in the early 1920s. As a way to reward long-term employees, the Company initiated the Loyalty Club in 1922. The Loyalty Club was made up of men who had been employees of the Bettendorf Company for fifteen or more years. The Car Journal was published monthly by the Loyalty …
The Pacem In Terris Peace and Freedom Award was established in 1964 and was named for Pope John XXIII's encyclical and given to those who exemplified its principles. Fr. Jack Smith, a graduate of St. Ambrose College and a member of its History faculty, was one of the founding members of the Catholic Interracial Council and was …
Thomas and Charles Lewis were brothers who attended St. Ambrose College in the 1930s. While at school, the two wrote letters to their mother, Mrs. Ollie R. Lewis. Both brothers enlisted in the Army. Charles was killed in action during the New Guinea Campaign in the Pacific War Theatre. Thomas survived World War II and went on to …
St. Ambrose yearbooks were published from 1913 to 1984. Yearbooks featured photos of faculty and students, along with sports, musical events, and yearly activities.
St. Ambrose University has come a long way since it began as a seminary and school of commerce for young men in 1882. Over more than a century, the campus grew, and with it the services to ensure our students, faculty and staff have the best environment in which to learn, live, and work. The St. Ambrose University Digital Collections document some of the highlights from the past century and provide an opportunity for today's students to learn about the past.