About the Collection
The Car Journal was a monthly publication of the Loyalty Club of the Bettendorf Car Company. The Loyalty Club was formed in 1922 and the Car Journal's first issue was published in November 1923. The editor was Fred A. Hinrichsen. At the time of printing of the first issue, there were 51 members of the Loyalty Club. Margaret Burr was the only female member of the Loyalty Club. By the time the last issue was published, there were 171 living members. The last issue was published in December 1930. Shortly after that the Bettendorf Car Company closed its main plant and no longer manufactured railroad cars.
The Car Journal contained information about national railroad news, company events, short essays, poetry, jokes, and coverage of company sports teams. Most issues also contained a short profile of at least one employee. Activities of the Safety Club, the Mutual Aid Association, and the Loyalty Study Corner were also reported.
The original print copies of the Car Journal are housed at the Bettendorf Public Library, Bettendorf, Iowa. In the digital collection, each issue has been scanned and saved in PDF format.
Special thanks goes to the Bettendorf Public Library for allowing the journals to be scanned, and to the Bettendorf Foundation for providing a grant to facilitate the digitizing of the collection.